4) LAMBS – Laboratory for Advanced Microscopy Bioimaging Spectroscopy, Universita Degli Studi Di Genova
Location: Genoa, Italy
MOSBRI reference site for the following techniques:
Fluorescence Microscopy, AFM: Atomic Force Microscopy
The LAMBS includes DIFILAB, a new laboratory at the Physics Department of the University of Genoa, and the Department of Nanophysics (NAPH), of the Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia (IIT), both site in Genoa. DIFILAB is a multidisciplinary laboratory that aims to strengthen the research and development of high sensitivity detectors and nano-bio-materials for biomedical applications. States of the art facility in scanning probe and correlative microscopy applied to bio-system are active at DIFILAB. NAPH focused his research on light microscopy and spectroscopy and incorporates a Nikon Imaging Centre developed in partnership between Fondazione Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia and Nikon Instruments Italy.
The LAMBS has been the first laboratory to develop correlative microscopy based on integrating an AFM and super-resolution optical microscopes. Starting from 2012, the lab developed different setups, coupling the AFM with STED and STORM microscope. The two laboratories are collaborating on several projects in the field of microscopy and spectroscopy.
Instruments / methodologies offered through TNA
We offer support in project planning, sample preparation, microscope selection and use, image processing, and visualization.
We offer physical and remote access to:
- AFM-STED, AFM-STORM correlative microscopes:
- Bruker Nanowizard II AFM on a STED Leica TCS STED-CW gated (optimized for green fluorescence)
- Bruker Nanowizard II AFM on a N-STORM Super-Resolution System on TiE Inverted Microscope and Andor camera iXon 897.
- Bruker Nanowizard IV AFM on a STED Leica Stellaris 8 (optimized for red fluorescence.
- Optical microscopy and spectroscopy: The facility is equipped with different commercial microscopes and a custom made setup.
- Nikon confocal microscope. (ALMF-IIT) A1R Resonant Confocal System on TiE Inverted Microscope.
- Nikon confocal and multiphoton resonant scanner microscope, with ISS fast-FLIM module. (ALMF-IIT) A1r MP Multiphoton Confocal System on TiE Inverted Microscope with Okolab incubation system and FLIM capability.
- Nikon super resolution system. N-STORM Super-Resolution System on TiE Inverted Microscope and Andor camera iXon 897.
- Nikon super resolution system. N-SIM Super-Resolution System on TiE Inverted Microscope with cage incubator system and Andor camera iXon 897.
- Olympus Confocal inverted microscope. FV1000 Confocal microscope.
- Leica Stellaris 8 STED.
- Leica Spectral confocal, multiphoton and STED inverted microscope. Leica TCS STED-CW gated and super-continuum excitation.
- Genoa Intruments PRISM, image scanning microscopy and fluorescence lifetime super-resolution system.
- Custom adapted FLIM and MP-STED CW microscope. On Leica TCS STED-CW gated:
- Custom made IML-SPIM microscope.
Access modality: Each access is 5 days long. Both physical and remote access is provided.
Full details of the sample requirements for each of the techniques offered at this TNA site can be found here. Further, more specific details, of some of the techniques offered are also included.